Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Weekend Warriors: Copper Harbor Mountain Biking


Fall ride on the Mango Trail, Copper Harbor, Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula

I've been doing this "weekend warriors" photo feature on Facebook, and I think I'll carry it over here on the blog as well. It'll be seasonal active outdoor shots, some fresh (when I can) and many more from the archives. Look for it on Mondays.

Fall weather is bike weather. I shot this in October 2011 while working with the great crew of the Copper Harbor Trails Club to shoot some autumn riding shots on their great network of mountain bike trails up at the tip of the Keweenaw. We shot all the regular stuff, useful shots for brochures and promos and magazine work but I wanted to play around with some artsy stuff too. I enjoy shooting through a busy foreground--balancing timing, exposure, depth of field, etc. and the thick Copper Harbor forest surrounding the trails seemed like a nice challenge. We found this patch of birches and played around a bit with a rider who was willing to take a few passes along this section of trail while I tried my luck panning with a longer lens to compress the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment