Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Holy Crap I'm a winner in The Great Outdoors photography contest!



I am pleased to have been chosen as a winner in the Photo District News Great Outdoors photography contest. An image shot this spring of sea kayaking along the icy cliffs of Lake Superior of Michigan's Upper Peninsula was selected in the Outdoor Sports and Activities category.

This is the first contest I've entered, and frankly, I'm not a contest guy. I've always been sort of "who cares" when it comes to competition in general. Work hard, be kind, do good work (enjoy the paycheck) and move on has been more my mantra. But after having a humble image of new work chosen from among lots and lots of peers, and seeing my name side-by-side with other winners like The North Face's Jimmy Chin (my hero; Nat Geo guy), Woods Wheatcroft (hero; cool name) and Peter Lik (landscape icon) I can see how this could get addicting.

Backstory: This silly picture was made on the first "date night" my wife and I had enjoyed in several months. Grandma and grandpa came up, stayed with our little squeelers and we, for some reason, decided sea kayaking in the ice in March was a good idea. So much for a "hot" date. Thanks to my wonderful wife for stumbling down this crazy path of life with me. And thanks to good friend Sam Crowley, paddler extraordinaire, for crashing date night to enjoy a beautiful afternoon on the water.

Finally, thanks to Lake Superior and the rugged, pristine shores of Michigan's Upper Peninsula for providing the amazing backdrop that allows me to do my work.

For a look at the gallery of winners from the 2012 PDN Great Outdoors photography contest visit: http://www.greatoutdoorscontest.com/gallery/2012/

No comments:

Post a Comment